West Newbury Years
Chief Jonathon Dennis , retired
JONATHON LEE DENNIS
2007-2013-Retired POLICE and FIRE CHIEF, Town of South Hampton, NH
· Graduate of the 146 NH Full Time Academy
· Manage the Department
· Develop Policies and Procedures
· Establish Training
· Develop Budget
· Supervise Staff
· Answer needs of the Community
· Resurrected the Fire Department through Recruitment , training, equipment
· Stabilized the Police Department, created training, and instilled Professionalism, accountability.
· Developed a record keeping system, IMC, and put mobile Computers in the cruisers.
· Replaced worn out cruisers and developed a maintenance and low cost replacement program
· Established Mutual Aid with other Communities
· Established a DARE program
· Developed Community Relations
· Renovated the Police Station
· Upgraded equipment and maintenance, lowered costs
1977-2007 POLICE OFFICER Town of West Newbury, Ma.
· Chief of Police (1991-2007)
· Acting Chief of Police ( December 1989-1990)
· Promoted to the rank of Sergeant ( November 1982)
· Promoted to the rank of Corporal (April 1981)
· Full Time Police Officer (1981-2007)
· Part Time Police Officer (1977-1980)
· Administer the Police Department,
· Public Safety Dispatch And Harbormaster Department
· Develop and maintain Policies and Procedures
· Develop Budgets for the three departments
· Supervise and review performances of officers and dispatchers
· Direct and coordinate Department training
· Address the needs of the Community
· Initiated and developed a combined Public Safety Dispatch Combining Police and Fire, implementing 24hour coverage.
· Increased generalized and specialized training to develop professionalism within the Department
· Authored a $57,000 grant award from the Committee on Criminal Justice for the expansion of an in-house computer system with State computer systems and computers in the cruisers.
· Authored a grant developing a drug task force unit for 5 area communities. The Northeast Merrimack Valley Drug Task Force.
· Brought into the Town of West Newbury over $500,000 in grants leading to the hiring of a new full time officer, 3 part time officers and 4 new dispatchers.
· Develop training policies and procedures leading towards the process of accreditation for the Department.
· Develop and manage budgets for the Police Department, Public Safety Dispatch and the Drug Task Force (91-97)
· “Ask the Chief” A column for Community awareness.
· Develop and support a DARE program to cover the Elementary, Middle and High Schools.
· Initiated and developed Community policing Programs including: Bullying, Triad, scared straight, Public Safety Day, senior celebration, safe Halloween, SADD demonstrations, civilian police academies and bicycle safety.
· Constructed a new Public Safety Complex and acted as the Project Manager
coming in on time and Under budget.
1993-2007 HARBORMASTER- State Certified
1987-1999 DEPUTY SHERIFF, Essex County Sheriff’s Department
1983-1984 CONSTABLE, Appointed, City of Haverhill
1983-1999 CONSTABLE, Elected, Town of West Newbury, Ma.
1981-2007 FIREMAN, Town of West Newbury, Ma.
1977-1981 TEACHER, History and Art, Amesbury Middle School
9/76-9/77 TEACHER, History, Pentucket Regional High School
1/76-6/76 SUBSTITUTE TEACHER, Pentucket Regional School
Emergency Medical Responder
FBI LEDA Academy
Fingerprinting-Loctite Fingerprint Process
Certified Breathalyzer Operator and Instructor
Certified Radar operator and Instructor
Certified First Responder, CPR, Defibrillator
Criminal Investigator School
Department of Justice-Financial Investigator School
Training in narcotics Investigations
Access Officer NESPIN
Planning, designing and constructing Police facilities
Skilled in research work and grant writing
1987 MASTERS DEGREE IN CRIMINAL JUSTICE-
Anna Maria College, Paxton ,Ma.
1981-1982 ASSOCIATES DEGREE IN CRIMINAL JUSTICE-
Northern Essex Community College
April 1981 GRADUATE-Criminal Justice Training Council-Basic
Recruit Class- Topsfield, Ma. 4
1974-1975 BACHELOR OF ARTS IN HISTORY-Minor: Education and
Psychology- University of Maine at Portland –Gorham
1972-1973 University of Massachusetts at Amherst
1968-1972 Pentucket Regional High School
Deans List: 3.98 GPA- Summa Cum Laude at UMaine
High Honors- 4.0 GPA- Northern Essex Community
National Honor Society
Shaw’s Scholarship for dedication and scholastic
NH Seacoast fire Chiefs-2012
NH Chiefs of Police Association-2007
Rockingham County Chiefs of Police-2007
Essex County Chief’s of Police-President 1998
Massachusetts’s Chiefs of Police Association
International Chief’s of Police Association
New England Chief’s of Police Association
North Shore Harbormasters Association
New England Narcotics Officers Association
Northeast Merrimack Valley Drug Task Force
Advisory Board Member-Whittier Vo-Tech- Health Curriculum
Advisory Board Member-Northern Essex Community College-
Committee on Criminal Justice
Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
West Newbury Historical Society
INTERESTS: Athletics, Art, Reading and Writing